Following on from discussions at the PSSA’s Summer ’23 Interact Day, we asked Alistair Crooks of HVM testing experts HORIBA MIRA to shed some light on the issue of multiple test reports from one test.
In some instances, test houses have been issuing multiple reports for the same test but against different standards (PAS68, IWA14-1, ASTMF2656). This is possible due to overlaps in tolerances, however it has been noted by NPSA (CPNI) that this is occurring at times when it should not and as a result tests can end up being refused inclusion on the NPSA catalogue of tested products.
|EUROPEAN REGULATIONS||FEDERAL (USA) REGULATIONS||FEDERAL (USA) REGULATIONS|
|PAS68 – N3 ||ASTM F2656 – M ||ASTM F2656:2020 – C7 |
|CWA16221 – N3 |
|IWA14-1 – N3C |
- It is NOT possible to issue a rating for a single test to European Regulations at N3 level and Federal Regulations at M level as the vehicles are significantly different configuration and have incompatible GVW.
- It is NOT possible to issue a rating for a single test to all European Regulations at N3 level and Federal Regulations at C7 level as the required test masses are different and the vehicles have incompatible GVW.
- It is NOT possible to issue a rating for a single test to European Regulations at N2 level and Federal Regulations at M level as the vehicles are significantly different configuration and have incompatible GVW.
- It CAN be possible to issue ratings to cover all of the European Regulations at N3 IF the test house has correctly interpreted the tolerances on the vehicle requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why can I not have a rating to IWA14-1:2013 at N2A or N3C level and ASTM M level?
- The IWA N2A/N3C vehicles are a European style truck with the cab over the engine and the ASTM M truck has the cab behind engine i.e. the vehicle specifications are not compatible.
- Additionally, the GVWs are incompatible with the M truck having GVW 11801-14970kg which does not match either N2(A) 7.5T or N3(C) 18T.
Why can I not have a rating to PAS68:2013 at N2 or N3 level and ASTM C7 level?
- Although the trucks are similar configuration (cab-over engine) the GVWs are incompatible with the C7 truck having GVW 11801-14970kg which does not match either N2(A) 7.5T or N3(C) 18T.
Can it be possible to issue a rating to cover the European Regulations?
- It can be possible to cover all the European Regulations with a single test as the trucks are all the same specification. Care must be taken over the test mass requirements to ensure meeting the tolerances of all the regulations. Additionally, a reputable test house should ensure that they are not deliberately making testing easy by testing at the lowest end of the tolerance of any of the regulations.
- A responsible test house should for example conduct the test to PAS68/CWA16221 with a test mass as close to 7500kg as possible and subsequently assess the test against IWA14-1:2013.
Can I have a test conducted that is compliant to European and Federal Regulations?
- Yes, IWA14-1:2013 N2B vehicle is the same vehicle as the ASTM M Truck. Key points, load-bed type, ballast method and test item install must all be in accordance with ASTM requirements and vehicle age must match IWA14-1 (<10years old).
Alistair Crooks, Solution Leader (Passive Safety & HVM), HORIBA MIRA